Dogmatism and Anarchism
My recent exchange with Francois Trembley, who thought is would be fruitful to call me a poser (for reasons still unclear to me), has led me to ask the question, "how do we define what and who are anarchists, and who or what is given the authority to make the definition as well as to make the judgment as to who or what 'fits' said definition?"
First, it seems clear to me that an-archism is a social environment without rulers or masters (as directly indicated from the Greek root). So at what point can someone sympathetic to anarchism charge that another's actions or words are outside the scope of anarchism? By who's definition and on what authority? Would it not be an infringement on another's freedom to implicitly coerce someone else's thought -- rather than using the cogency of reason -- by manipulating another's emotions into thinking that she is somehow an impostor, or should be shamed, or are somehow a hypocrite or not "pure" enough in their thought or action?
I agree with Trembley's assertion (see number 7 in the linked page) that there are limits to which we can sever our ties to the state. I would go further, and I hope he would agree, that those limits are contingent on an individual's situation, i.e., there is no one catch-all system of rules by which one can say "I am being anarchist enough" or "I am cooperating with the state too much." Take Trembley's own example - having a driver's license. Indeed, it is not necessary for many people to have a driver's license (ask any New York City resident, many of whom have ever had a driver's license in their life); however, for many might need a driver's license for operating their farm trucks or other work vehicles. So who is any one person to say if another needs a driver's license or not? Who is one to coerce another into abiding by the rules they set for themselves in their own contingent situation?
However, on the other hand, there has to be some way to say what is anarchistic and what is not. A case that shows this clearly is one taken ad absurdem: someone running a death camp who says that my charge against her actions (of not being a real anarchist) do not take into account her contingent situation and thus I have no right to call her actions into question or to coerce her into acting otherwise.
We cannot apply some general set of rules which do not take into one's contingent situation, but on the other hand, we cannot just allow anything to be accepted as "anarchism" without making the definition empty and meaningless. Furthermore, if we do find an action unacceptable -- oppressive or coercive -- what are the appropriate means by which the problem is addressed? Is the person ostracized (a form of coercion to make someone change) , is the person merely reasoned with (I think this option places too much faith in reason alone and does not account for the pluralities of reasoning)?
Finally, we have to understand that, as I think Foucault rightfully pointed out in general, all thought has normative power. That is, even to use anarchism as a means by which we judge ourselves is coercive -- anarchism as an idea undermines itself and imposes its order. It is under constant threat of becoming a dogmatism by which people want to assert their own rules about being an anarchist onto others; anarchism's adherents become veiled ideologues, who, if they had the power of the state would use it; or, just as bad, without the overt institution of the state, use other social norms to coerce others into being a "real" anarchist.
Perhaps we do need to lean heavily on reason and justification. I agree with Chomsky that there might be cases for authority, but that authority cannot be arbitrary, it must be justified and requested. Similarly, there might be cases where any number of actions would acceptable fall under being anarchist and at other times might not. Ultimately, it depends on the justification and reasoning for such actions. So what does it mean to be an anarchist? Perhaps we can start with the general definition taken strictly from the etymology of the word: one is an anarchist if one does what they can not to instantiate, sustain, or participate in systems or actions that act to (arbitrarily?) rule over others by any means. Any further than that, and we run into the problem of the individual's situatedness.
I don't claim to have the answers; these thoughts are open to revision, so feel free to comment (or post links to webpages/blogs on the topic. I only have one request: please don't start the conversation by slapping your interlocutor-to-be across the face (me or anyone else). That rarely ends well, and it draws attention away from the ideas that are being discussed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I did not think it was "fruitful." I was explaining why I was leaving the discussion, as well as something you need to change (i.e. stop being a poser and just answer things directly and honestly).
What question haven't I answered and how am I a poser? If you're referring to your question about Sanders and Kucinich being "real" socialists, I need you to first tell me what you think a real socialist is and why you think those criteria are valid. I think we'll run into the same problem as defining a "real" anarchist. Second, I never said that they *were* "real" socialists (again, I don’t even know what that might mean). I would never claim that anyone is a "real" anything, because I find such assertions to be highly problematic outside of the realm of physical sciences for the same reasons as stated above. Again, your original comment (from which the conversation commenced) had to do with politicians speaking out against capitalism, which is altogether different than putting people into the identity box of "being a real socialist". The reason I mentioned that they (at least Sanders does) identify as democratic socialists was to point out that there are politicians that openly speak out against capitalism. And this was a direct response to you’re comment that started with the all-too-welcoming accusation that I must be insane to think differently than you think I should. Now, if you want to argue over whether Sanders’ and Kucinich’s actions are consistent with their words or that it is a fundamental contradiction that they are both politicians and speaking out against capitalism, well, that’s an entirely different argument – one I think you and I might find much to agree about (and, hopefully, disagree as well).
Nonetheless, I am strongly resistant to engage in a conversation about who is a "real" x, because it claims to know someone in a way that is nearly impossible (unless I am very, very certain that there is something duplicitous about the person and have strong evidence to support such a claim). Furthermore, I also find it an act of symbolic violence to put people into boxes and judge them for being a "real" anything (for more, see Pierre Bourdieu’s discussion of this in Language & Symbolic Power); and without clear reasoning, it presumes that the person making the claim is the arbitrary arbiter of things genuine and not – an authority I think I could successfully argue is antithetical to anarchism. Finally, such claims are coercive by their nature (again, see Bourdeiu)…and they can be especially dangerous with political ideas (people had real acts of violence directed at them under Stalin for not being “real” revolutionaries). The cogency of reason is a lot safer than the rhetorical conjecture of "you're (they're) a fake."
Finally, remind me again, why again am I a poser? How is it that I am pretending to be something I am not (and if you want me to take your claim seriously I need examples and reasoning)?
Post a Comment