11 July 2005

The other night, Stephanie and I watched The Molly Maguires. It is a film based on a true story about one of the first successful unions in the USA. It was started by a group within a secret society of Irishmen that worked in the coal mines of Pen. It was a great film except there was this lame romance subplot runnning through the entire thing.

I've seen lots of IWW stuff around lately, which is a good sighn. S bought me "Woblies! A Graphic History of the Industrial Workers of the World" (highly recommended) - it has a work in there by Harvey Pekar! Yesterday I bought a recent biographical novel by Wallace Stenger about Joe Hill, the famous IWW bard.

My dog Roscoe has been really diobedient lately. I don't know what it is, but he's really being irritating. We normally let him run off leash in this huge field behind S's house so he can chase rabbits and birds and sprint around. He usually comes when called, but last night he was too busy doin his own thing, and when I opened the door last night as we were leaving, instead of waiting for a command, he just took off after nothing and almost got hit by a car.

Anyone who has an IRA and wants to put their money in socially responsible mutual funds should read this article:

http://news.morningstar.com/doc/article/1,,135405,00.html?pgid=pfnewsbt

One fund that isn't mentioned, but should have been in my opinion (only because SRI funds are few and far between) is Parnassus Equity Income Fund: PRBLX

No comments: