09 January 2006

Hello! We're back from our belated honeymoon safe and rested (at least I feel rested). I have added a link to some of the photos on the right hand side of this page below the links. I forgot how much taking pictures makes me happy. We took my friend Todd J's advice and we bought a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT before heading off to the Caribbean, and it has allowed me to do more photography than I have done in a long time. What I like about the Rebel XT is that it offers exceptional resolution and does not have a lot of bells and whistles. I can take photos in complete manual mode, add auto focus, set an aperture and have the camera choose the appropriate shutter speed, etc. It works just like my old Nikon FG, but with auto-focus and a digital "film". Another thing I like about it is that I don't have to worry about some hack scratching my negatives (this happened with our marriage photos), the cost of developing, chemicals, darkroom equipment, etc. My photography is very simple, so I can use the simple Rebel XT and the simple editing program that came with the camera. The only adjustments made to the photos in The Gallery are cropping, contrast, lumination and saturation (if its a color shot) - simple chemical darkroom techniques. Being able to once again "do" photography as I used to has made me really happy. It was the best $900 (after rebate) that I ever spent.

This week will be crazy for me. I have to teach a full load for three days at a local liberal arts college, two classes at the community college and two nights at Sylvan. Fortunately, though, there's no more planning for the trip or planning marriage celebrations, etc, it's only for this week, and one of the classes that I'm teaching at the community college I've already taught and have notes for. OK. Time to run. I hope you enjoy the photos.

No comments: